Tuesday, July 27, 2021
Home > News > Police Yet to Find Killers

Police Yet to Find Killers

Saturday March 17, 2018 will mark one year since former Police Spokesman Assistant Inspector General of Police, Andrew Felix Kaweesi was gunned down. Unidentified gunmen riding on a motorcycle killed Kaweesi together with his body guard, Kenneth Erau and Godfrey Mambewo on March 2017 in Kulambiro in Nakawa division in Kampala district.

Police picked up more than 40 suspects in connection to the killings. However, only 24 were charged with Terrorism contrary to Section 7 (1) (a) and 2 (b) of the Anti-Terrorism Act, 2002. Seven of the suspects face additional charges of murder contrary to section 188 and 189 of the Penal Code Act; 11 are charged with being accomplices and seven are charged with Aggravated Robbery contrary to Section 285 and 286 of the Penal Code Act.

But so far only three have been linked to the killings. Two are believed to have sourced the assassins to eliminate Kaweesi. Preliminary police investigations based on scene of crime analysis and testimonies from eye witnesses show that four people were involved in the assassination. They made away from the crime scene using two motorcycles. Three assailants were spotted holding Submachine guns.

Only one of the four suspects identified as Aramazan Noordin Higenyi was picked up at the Uganda and Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) border the day Kaweesi’s body was laid to rest. Higenyi and the three other suspects still at large are said to have been hired by Hassan Tumusiime and Abubaker Ntende, who were also charged with murder. The investigations file indicates that Tumusime and Ntende confessed during interrogations at Nalufenya police facility that they had been asked by the Kamwenge Town Councilor LC III Chairperson, Godfrey Byamukama to help him get some assassins for a job.

“He even took us to Kisaasi and showed us where he wanted his work done. I however didn’t know that he wanted them to kill a senior police officer,” reads Ntende’s statement. Byamukama was picked and tortured by operatives from the Flying Squad following Ntende and Tumusiime’s confession.

“At first we thought he would confess but after several interrogations and no success, our bosses had to let him go free,” a reliable source who was part of the investigations told Uganda Radio Network.

Without Byamukama, the line of investigations that police pursued for so many months became impossible to complete. “Byamukama definitely lacked intent to murder Kaweesi but our suspicion was that he had hired for someone else and that is the person we wanted,” the source told URN condition of anonymity.

URN has also learnt that a month before his sacking, President, Yoweri Museveni summoned Kayihura to state house to explain the status of the Kaweesi murder investigations. Museveni also wanted to know why investigations into the murder of former Principal State Attorney Joan Kagezi, Muslim clerics and Major Muhammad Kiggundu had not yielded results.

Muhammad Kiggundu

Police hit a dead end in the investigations into the assassination of Major Kiggundu following the release of the only suspect picked up in connection to the killing. The suspect was picked up following information provided by his wife that he was behind the murder of Kiggundu.

Kiggundu was gunned down together with his bodyguard in October 2016 at Masanafu as he was driving to Pearl FM where he was participating in a show teaching against extremism.

Joan Kagezi

The Deputy Director of Public Prosecution and Senior State Attorney, Joan Kagezi was gunned down on March 30th 2015 in Kiwatule as she was driving back home in the evening.

She had parked her car on the road side to buy fruits from a vendor for her three children who were in the car. Unidentified gunman riding on a motorcycle shot at Kagezi three times before speeding off from the crime scene.

Kayihura swing into action and arrested more than 10 suspects. However, most of them were released unconditionally while others were charged of very different crimes.

Until December 2017, the file remained empty. In December 2017, the Chieftaincy of Military Intelligence is claimed to have arrested a suspect that was allegedly involved in the murder.

Abdul Semmujju Minana, a former police operative was arrested after one of his confidant leaked information about him to CMI. It is still unclear whether Minana is still in Military custody or was finally released.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *